Friday, January 23, 2009

Clay's Law needs your help!

Dear Family and Friends,
Many of you might have already heard about this....so I apologize if this is a review! :) However, I feel that this is a big enough "deal" to share with all of you. Just yesterday a new bill called "Clay's Law" was introduced at the capitol. Basically the new law would make it a requirement for insurance companies to cover children with autism so that they can receive the important and necessary treatments and therapies that often cost WAY too much for most families to get. They need as MANY people as possible to contact their legislators to get them to support this bill. It will go to committee hearing next week, and so we need to bombard our senators and representatives with calls, letters, and emails. It's really not as hard as I thought it would be and I've included some very helpful links that I found while I was researching and writing my own letters. If you can help us out with this, we would be SOOOOO appreciative!!!

First of all, here is a little YouTube video that explains things.


Here is a link to the blog that has been set up to keep everyone informed. If you get the bottom of the first page of blog posts, there will be a link that says "Older Posts" - click on that to get to the very comprehensive list of senators and representatives. It will have phone numbers, email addresses, home addresses, etc. VERY HELPFUL! I actually just printed out a hard copy of the emails I sent and used those as the letter that I sent in the mail. EASY!


If you are unsure who your legislators are, LIKE I WAS!!!!, go to this website and all you have to do is type in your zip code (knowing your 9 digit zip code is helpful) and they'll tell you exactly who your senator AND representative is!

Here is the actual bill so that you can see what it is all about and what treatments would be included.

To be honest, I was totally worried that this process would take hours...but now that I've "hooked you up" it really should only take 15-20 minutes to write an email or make a phone call to the right people! Tell that that you know a child with autism (whether it's your own, or our very own Sammy) and that you know that getting this bill to pass would mean the world!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and if you have the time to make a call or write a quick email/letter we will be so grateful!!!!

Sincerely,
Heather (and Matt, and Sammy, and Tyler, and baby sister)

1 comment:

Jill J said...

Wow that is wonderful news! I really hope that it goes through. I'm pulling for you, babe