Hi everyone!
The surgery went MUCH faster than we expected. First, we got a phone call at 7AM asking if we could come an hour early to the hospital. We made it by 8:30 and they started the surgery around 10:00. After reading about some other chiari surgeries online we were expecting about 4 hours. When we got to the hospital they told us it would be about 2.5 hours. Anyway, after 1 hour Dr. Brockmeyer came into the waiting room and told us he was finished. He said the surgery went as well as could be expected. He also said that Sam definitely needed the surgery because his cerebellar tonsils were jammed pretty tight into the spinal canal/brain stem. He said Sam should not have to be in the ICU at all. We are waiting for them to call us and then Heather will be able to go to the PACU (Recovery) where he will wake up from the anesthesia. They only let one parent go to the PACU. As soon as they give us the green light we will all be able to go to a room where we will be for the next 4-5 days. More updates to come!
Monday, July 30, 2007
Quick Surgery!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Dear Heather and Matt,
What great news about the surgery! I am especially happy about how short it was and that Sam doesn't have to be in the ICU. They simply would not let him be anywhere else unless they were pretty happy about it.
Joseph and Ann were thrilled, too. You should have heard Joseph pray for Sam last night. His primary teachers asked him to, and it was really a touching prayer. I didn't realize he was going to do it until he was actually praying.
WOW, that is great! I have thought about your family today, and hope things continue to look up! PS, it was so fun to catch up and chat and give funny advice to Jill the other night! I love you Heather, and family too!
We are so happy to hear it went so well and that he was not under very long.
You are always in our thoughts.
Love Ed and Lynn
Glad to hear all is going well! You guys are such great supports to Sam--he is blessed to have you as parents. Please keep us up to date on how things are going when you can!
love you!
I'm so glad to hear it went so FAST for you! I think I had to wait at least 3 hours, how nervewracking that wait is!!
Post a Comment