Sunday, July 27, 2014

December 2013

December started out with an unexpected "bang!"
Tyler had the stomach flu and when he was running for the toilet he smacked his head on the seat!
Poor guy! Not only sick, but split his eyebrow open too. 
Our pediatrician glued it shut and the nurse told Tyler that "girls dig boys with scars." Uhhhh?
During the week that followed this unfortunate event, Tyler's eyelid changed all sorts of funky colors.

I found this lovely door decoration on Sam and Tyler's doorknob one day.
(We are still working on spelling "disturb" I guess!)

All four kiddos had a great time with all of the snow that we received!
It was fun to send them out in the backyard together and let them play until their little hearts were content!

I got to accompany Matt to an Octappella show at La Caille. 
The show was great but surprisingly enough, the food was TERRIBLE!

Random picture of Charlie enjoying some Leatherby's ice-cream.
Matt and I took all three boys to get some ice-cream while Lilly was at a birthday party for a friend.

Grandma Deb usually gives our family some sort of fun gift at the beginning of December. She gave us a gingerbread house decorating kit, so we used it during FHE and had so much fun!
I think this picture of Tyler is hilarious! 
(Especially considering he has diabetes!)

Sam surprised me one day when he told me that we needed some MISTLETOE in our house! I didn't have time to go to the store to buy some of the real stuff, so Sam had to settle for a quick Google Images search and we printed this instead:
He helped me tape it to the wall above our entryway, just in case any cute girls came by the house!

Our visit to Santa Claus was a little different this year. We took the kids to The Train Shoppe...a little model train store with a hidden WONDERLAND in the back of the shop. There were several different kinds of model railroads built - - some small (the kids could put a quarter in a machine and control the train) and some big (big enough to ride on, that is!). Our entire family filled up the cars of the ride-on train and went for a fun ride.
After we had some time to explore the train area, Santa stopped by to see what the children were up to! 
Charlie did well (I was nervous he was going to freak out, in a not-so-good way) but I think he was ok due to the fact that Santa was giving out candy canes!
Lilly was a little shy at first but warmed up quickly.
Tyler was chatty and excited!
And then there was Sam...he wouldn't go NEAR the jolly man in the red suit. Santa must have had some experience with special needs kiddos, because he noticed that Sam wasn't really diggin' it. Santa slowly got up from his bench and walked over to where Sam was. He approached Sam with gentleness and I watched in amazement. Santa asked Sam about his Christmas wish list and even though Sam wasn't communicating with words, Santa was able to work his magic and got a few ideas! 
(I think secretly Sam liked the special attention that Santa gave him!)

Every Christmas season my mom's side of the family has a big family dinner party. It was my mom's turn to plan it and I got to help think of some "Minute 2 Win It" kind of games to play. I ordered this funny reindeer game from Oriental Trading and it was a big hit....at least with Charlie and Lilly!
The kids were kind enough to try it out for me to make sure it "worked" before the party!

We were lucky enough to have my brother, Jason, and his family come up from California for the Christmas season this year! We tried something new this year...we (meaning: my siblings, their spouses, and all of the kiddos) went to the Ronald McDonald House and provided lunch for the families staying there. 
We got to have a tour of the building and then we went to work in the kitchen and made a yummy chicken salad sandwich lunch with fruit and a treat. We didn't actually meet any of the families, but it was such a great experience for OUR family to do some service for others!

We also got together with the Cropper side of the family for the traditional Christmas pageant. Grandpa Leigh reads from Luke 2 and the kids act out the Christmas story.

Christmas Morning Photo Op'
(AKA "Don't you dare go down those stairs until I can take your picture!" photo op)
The kids were spoiled as usual. They received some fun presents from family and friends.
Charlie loved this "Darth Tater" toy from my friend Emily Mack.

Lilly was thrilled with her Lego Friends set from Santa!

Tyler was just a tad bit happy with his new Lego set.

I surprised Sam with a Darth Vader Transformer toy that he really wanted. Usually at Christmastime he will all of sudden come up with a random toy that he REALLY REALLY wants. Most of the time, he doesn't come up with that "one toy" idea until waaaay after we have seen Santa Claus, so I usually have to try and make the magic happen somehow. It isn't always easy, but it is worth it to make my Sammy a happy boy on Christmas morning.
Look at that sweet face!!!

Ahhhh...the Christmas tornado picture! 
(30 minutes of fun that takes a week to clean up!!)

Grandma Deb was so generous to take me, Lilly, McKaleigh, Jaymie, Rhiannon, and Verity to go see Ballet West's "The Nutcracker." It was truly magical to go see the performance with all the girls...especially my cutie Lilly. It was fun to tell her about the times when I got to perform in that same ballet, so many years ago. She was so well behaved during the show...I was very proud of my girl!
Thanks Grandma Deb for such a memorable experience!

Usually when we have quality family time, the board games come out at Grandma Deb's house!
Some of the favorite games include "Wits & Wagers," "Golf," "Mexican Train," and sometimes we'll learn a new one. Always a good time!!!

Lilly attached herself to "her Rhiannon." She just could't get enough of the quality "girly cousin time" that she enjoys when Rhiannon is around. Rhiannon is so cute and patient with Lilly.

Wade-o and Tyler are great buddy cousins too. They like to talk about video games, Legos, and movies. 

This sweet boy was just happy as a clam as long as there were other people in the room. While the adults played games and the cousins ran around and/or watched a movie, Charlie just roamed around and observed everyone else. He would occasionally ask for a drink or a treat (which Grandma was happy to get him) but other than that he was a jolly boy.

The night before Jason and Verity's family had to leave, we went outside in front of Grandma and Papa's house all together for a special activity! Each family got to light one paper lantern and make a wish for the new year. 
Brett's family wished for McKaleigh to get a boyfriend! Ha ha ha!

Since some of our other cousins were out of school for Christmas break we decided to invite Jenna and Miranda over to play. We made and decorated cupcakes! Yum!

2013 flew by! On to bigger and better things in 2014!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Whoa, where to start!? I'm so happy you updated your blog. Get ready for a bunch of comments :)

Deb said...

This Christmas was really special, I love when we are all together. I love that you all are willing to help me when it is my turn to plan the "Throndsen Party". I am glad you and Matt have established your new traditions regarding Christmas, I know is more enjoyable now to have that time with you, Matt and the kids.