August got cut in half this year because of how early school started!
So, we decided to fit in as much family fun as we could!
We had our very first family trip to Pineview Reservoir!

The kids had a blast playing in the water, squirting each other, and swimming.
Charlie brought one of his favorite trucks to play in the sand with!
Tyler helped bury Sam in the sand...only about half way.
Lilly needed breaks here and there to warm up in the sun.
We spent about 5 hours just playing on the beach and in the water. We were all sufficiently worn out by the end of our adventure...but the kids LOVED it. We'll definitely have to go back again next year.
We used our Connect Passes to go see The Leonardo downtown.
Tyler fell in love with the Lego computers. He played some kind of 3-D building app and probably could have spent his entire afternoon just playing that! Dad and Sam enjoyed it too.
Tyler and I liked this cool interactive screen where you could move your arm and the birds would fly across the screen and follow the direction of your arm.
We spent a lot of time in the music area...imagine that?
We listened to music and MADE music.
We also DANCED to the music!

Dad and I liked reading the notes on the "Thankful Tree."
Lilly, Charlie, and I had a good time building a fort with these giant Lego blocks.
The optical illusions area was fascinating.
The weather went from sunny, to a downpour, to sunny again!
Tyler got an old fashioned "shave" at the Barber's building.
Riding on the big train was a treat after walking so much!
Sam loved hanging out in the big ship! While everyone else was panning for gold, he was hanging out in his happy place.
Speaking of gold, Dad and Tyler were excellent at finding gold!
Other fun:
I took Tyler and Lilly to read to the therapy dogs at the library.
Our dentist's office had a patient appreciation party...which include face painting and food trucks!!
Tyler and his friend, Jay, went to Diabetes Camp at the National Ability Center in Park City. They spent 3 days (but came home at night) playing in the great outdoors, going boating, doing yoga, and other fun activities....and their entire group was full of kids just like them who have Type 1 Diabetes.
I had to take a picture of these dirty footprints on the step stool. Although my first reaction was to get a cleaning wipe...I paused and thought, "I'm going to miss this stuff someday!"
Charlie and I went on a 1-on-1 date to Toys R Us. He didn't really want to BUY anything, thank goodness, he just wanted to go play with their Thomas The Train table! We had a good time! He was such a good boy, and I was so proud of him for not asking me to buy him anything, I took him to Goodwill and let him pick out a grab bag of little vehicles. He was overjoyed!
7th grade??? Whaaaaaaa????
(Sam's "Baby Brent" impression, from "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs")
Sam absolutely NAILED his first day of school.
He knew where every class was, he knew at least one person in each class, found friends to sit with at lunch, and found his carpool buddies after school was out! He came home happy too....always a good sign that things went well!
The following week, this cutie started FIRST GRADE!
And this "tough guy" who wears pink, started FOURTH GRADE!
We had an impromptu crazy picture party on the front porch before it was time to leave for school.
What a bunch of weirdos.
So, we decided to fit in as much family fun as we could!
We had our very first family trip to Pineview Reservoir!

We got to the beach at about 9:30am and there was hardly anyone else around.
We got our canopy tent set up and our sand toys out.The kids had a blast playing in the water, squirting each other, and swimming.
Charlie brought one of his favorite trucks to play in the sand with!
Tyler helped bury Sam in the sand...only about half way.
Lilly needed breaks here and there to warm up in the sun.
Sam lounged in that green floatie for a good hour or so. I think he was 100% relaxed!
Tyler thought it would be fun to go for a ride in Charlie's red blow-up car.
Tyler's turn to be buried!We spent about 5 hours just playing on the beach and in the water. We were all sufficiently worn out by the end of our adventure...but the kids LOVED it. We'll definitely have to go back again next year.
We weren't sure what to expect because none of us had ever been there before!
(Sam's stuffed friend, named "Jif," joined us on our adventure).Tyler fell in love with the Lego computers. He played some kind of 3-D building app and probably could have spent his entire afternoon just playing that! Dad and Sam enjoyed it too.
Tyler and I liked this cool interactive screen where you could move your arm and the birds would fly across the screen and follow the direction of your arm.
We spent a lot of time in the music area...imagine that?
We listened to music and MADE music.
We also DANCED to the music!

Dad and I liked reading the notes on the "Thankful Tree."
Lilly, Charlie, and I had a good time building a fort with these giant Lego blocks.
The optical illusions area was fascinating.
After we were all done at The Leonardo (it was super fun, by the way) we went outside to check out the Salt Lake City Library's waterfall.
We also used our Connect Passes to get some lunch! We had a delicious spread of food at The Lion House Pantry. We stuffed our faces full of yummy rolls and shared some chocolate cake. (We did eat some healthier food too.) After lunch we checked out the Disney Store at City Creek. The children went nuts for all of the fun toys and Disney-themed items. They already have some ideas for when Christmas gets closer!
One more Connect Pass date....this time to This Is The Place Heritage Park!
We met up with Uncle Brett, Aunt Jaymie, and cousins Alex and Colton!The weather went from sunny, to a downpour, to sunny again!
Although Tyler looks bored out of his mind, I think the kids enjoyed the train ride together!
Sam was completely enchanted by the old fashioned spinning wheel! He could have stayed to watch it for a lot longer if we had had time!Tyler got an old fashioned "shave" at the Barber's building.
Riding on the big train was a treat after walking so much!
Sam loved hanging out in the big ship! While everyone else was panning for gold, he was hanging out in his happy place.
Speaking of gold, Dad and Tyler were excellent at finding gold!
All of the kids put their gold together into one big pile and turned it in to the banker. He gave them a "note" with the gold's worth...the boys plan on giving it to Papa (to help "pay" for the San Diego trip we're going on next summer!).
Lilly is always up for an opportunity to ride a pony!
Charlie was absolutely exhausted after our LONG day of adventures. We were at the park for over 6 hours! I had to carry him for the last hour or so...and all the way to the van in the parking lot.Other fun:
I took Tyler and Lilly to read to the therapy dogs at the library.
Our dentist's office had a patient appreciation party...which include face painting and food trucks!!
Tyler and his friend, Jay, went to Diabetes Camp at the National Ability Center in Park City. They spent 3 days (but came home at night) playing in the great outdoors, going boating, doing yoga, and other fun activities....and their entire group was full of kids just like them who have Type 1 Diabetes.
I had to take a picture of these dirty footprints on the step stool. Although my first reaction was to get a cleaning wipe...I paused and thought, "I'm going to miss this stuff someday!"
Charlie and I went on a 1-on-1 date to Toys R Us. He didn't really want to BUY anything, thank goodness, he just wanted to go play with their Thomas The Train table! We had a good time! He was such a good boy, and I was so proud of him for not asking me to buy him anything, I took him to Goodwill and let him pick out a grab bag of little vehicles. He was overjoyed!
Sam and I visited his junior high school a few times so that he could get some experience practicing his locker and finding his classrooms! He LOVED every minute of going over there! I could tell he felt "big." He was VERY social with everyone he saw, especially if he knew someone from elementary school!
Speaking of junior high...
SAM STARTED JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!
This kid is truly amazing!7th grade??? Whaaaaaaa????
(Sam's "Baby Brent" impression, from "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs")
Sam absolutely NAILED his first day of school.
He knew where every class was, he knew at least one person in each class, found friends to sit with at lunch, and found his carpool buddies after school was out! He came home happy too....always a good sign that things went well!
The following week, this cutie started FIRST GRADE!
And this "tough guy" who wears pink, started FOURTH GRADE!
We had an impromptu crazy picture party on the front porch before it was time to leave for school.
What a bunch of weirdos.
I had the pleasure of walking the kids to school, and for the first time...I'm letting my kids WALK home from school! They'll be meeting up with a big group of kids from our neighborhood and walking all together.
The long awaited day finally arrived for Lilly...she got to start piano lessons!
Sweet Diane Walton has been telling her for three years now, "when you start first grade, you can start piano lessons!" Lilly is so excited to be playing the piano like her big brothers!














































3 comments:
WOW you packed so much fun in a few weeks. The pictures of the first day of school are a favorite of mine. The footprints on the step stool, yes, you will remember them and it will be bittersweet! Love the UPDATE
So much fun. Great pics love the ones of you and Matt. Beautiful family and such fun. Love you
Sam looks so old! I can't believe middle school! Tyler and Charlie look so much alike to me.
Post a Comment