Friday, October 12, 2007

4 in 3 years

Poor Sammy.....on Wednesday he had his 4th surgery in 3 years. This time his tonsils had to go. We were fortunate enough to have Dr. Finlayson take care of him again (he has now done 3 out of the 4 surgeries!)...we just love Keith! (Jessica, your dad rocks!)
I took this picture of Sammy while we were waiting for his Verced (sp?) to kick in. Basically it makes him loopy enough to not get upset/scared, and it also gives him amnesia so he doesn't remember much from surgery. Great stuff. If you look closely, Sam is studying his precious Thomas catalog (which I laminated so that it would last). It gives him great comfort and keeps him busy when we have to wait at doctor appointments.

The surgery went well, but Sam had a hard time waking up afterwards in addition to his oxygen levels staying too low....so we had to wait a couple of hours extra to leave. The first two days were rough, but it seems like he was doing a bit better today. I think he really gets a kick out of getting to watch his favorite shows all day long and eating pudding whenever he wants! His favorite "flakes" (cereal) have also been a food of choice...as long as they are soggy enough! :)

What a little trooper Sammy is! I just hope this little surgery-spree is over with for the time being!

5 comments:

Andrea Griggs said...

Wow, I didn't know he'd had that many surgeries in the last 3 years. You and Matt are amazing! I'm glad to see he's doing well!

Andrea Griggs said...

PS Verced is great, isn't it! (I also don't know how to spell it). I'm so glad we live in this day and age for medical procedures! ;)

Verity said...

So glad the surgery went well. We've been praying for Sammy!

katherine said...

sammy i admire you and your strength, way to go buddy!

*Leslie* said...

That makes me sad. I hope that he is feeling better. Sam is a good little tropper! What a good mom he has too!