Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pioneer Day

For some reason Matt always seems to be working at the hospital on Pioneer Day. Even though it's a state holiday he doesn't get extra $$$ like he does on federal holidays. We miss him more on days when it seems like everyone else has their daddy home to play with. Boo hoo. However we have started a fun tradition with my mom and we go to Red Butte Gardens! We enjoy the quiet, the nature, the pretty places for photo ops, the Children's Garden, the water play area, and the squeals from Sam's smiling face as he runs around on the trails. :) The view up there is also quite spectacular. You can see the entire valley and then some. Sam likes to point out the state capitol building to Grandma and tell her, "there is the State of Utah!"

This was Lilly's first time to REALLY enjoy it...she was just too tiny last year. I think she wanted to taste every plant and flower that she saw, so it was a good thing to keep her in the stroller for most of the morning so that she was a safe distance from any tasting opportunities.
Here are my two favorite ladies enjoying the sunshine (and shade)....
This was my attempt at a group photo - yeah, it didn't work out too well because the boys didn't want to be bothered to stand still when there was plenty of adventure yet to be had!
Cute picture of Lilly...but now that I look at it closer that pretend lizard behind her looks a little creepy!
Thanks to my mom, I actually got to be in one of the pictures....and everyone is actually smiling! :)
Awwww...here they are again. Aren't they beautiful?
After a few hours of the Gardens it was getting a bit too hot and the crowds were starting to come, so we headed back to Grandma's house for lunch and play time. The boys found a box of dress-ups and went hog wild. My mom and I haven't laughed as hard as we did in a long time...especially when we saw this:
Introducing..."King Fancy Guy." Sam came up with this outfit all on his own...and the name to go with it. My Dad even chuckled when he saw Sam's new look. It might be a little hard to tell but he really did a great job color coordinating with what he had to work with (his red t-shirt)...he added red satin gloves and a red beaded necklace. The wig...I don't know about that...but I think the rocket blaster added just enough of a masculine touch to really pull it off.

Tyler has no shame in posing...but I guess I was the same in my younger years (ah-hem). He also went for the masculine rocket blaster but chose to accessorize with black lace gloves. He told me that he chose the cheetah print shirt because it made him "fast like a cheetah." That's my boy!
We had a wonderful day...thanks Grandma.

We also had a fun evening. I got some kid-friendly fireworks that we did in our driveway while we waited for Matt to get off of work. When he got home it was just in time to go down the street for our neighborhood's traditional 24th of July firework and ice-cream party. We had a great time chatting with the neighbors. I realized that it felt like we were really a part of the neighborhood this time. I've heard people say that it takes about 2 years to REALLY feel at home in a new neighborhood and ward. Well, they're right, because it's been 2 years since we moved in! My how time flies.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Ha ha, I will have to scan some pictures I just found of us posing in some of those VERY dress-ups. Those are good quality dress-ups! Has it seriously been 2 years since you moved? Holy cow!

Deb said...

I loved the time we spent at Red Butte, it is truly a SAM WONDERLAND. He so enjoys the freedom to run. The dress-up was really fun to see what the boys would come up with. Let's get Lilly involved next time.