Friday, August 13, 2010

Random Summertime Catch Up Post :)

I knew this would happen....summer would get away from me and I would get majorly behind on our blog! We've been having a lot of fun and staying busy! People will ask me how our summer is going....and I'll just say this: We're BUSY but BORING. We haven't gone on any fancy trips, but we manage to stay plenty busy with the usual "stuff" mixed with fun outings, a lot of swimming, play dates, etc. (Is that what a "stay-cation" is???) This little post here is just a modge podge of some of our summer happenings and other fun pictures that have been sitting lonely in iPhoto. :)
About a month ago I was delighted to get to see my Bobby, aka Robyn, who came to town for a few weeks. As usual we had a fun get together with all the high school peeps and enjoyed an evening of food, chit-chat, and watching the children run around chasing each other! Bobby and her boys also came over one afternoon and we let the kids play while we worked on a little "craft project" for her family reunion. It was wonderful to just do "whatever" and not have to have anything spectacular planned. I wish we could do that more often...too bad she lives in Arizona the other 49 weeks of the year! But I enjoyed it while it lasted! It's kind of cool to think that we've been pals for over 20 years! That kind of dates me...huh?
It was also lovely to see Gwenny, who I don't get to see nearly enough! And in case you were wondering, that cutie baby is Elena's newest, Kamryn. Isn't she the sweetest little lump?

These are my big super hero boys...who used to be little lumps back in the day...and it just makes me beam when they play cute with each other.
Tyler checked out a DC Comic Super Hero book at the library one day and we found some fun crafts in the back of the book that we could make. These little masks and stick puppets kept them busy for at least an entire day! Tyler is usually Batman and Sam likes to be The Flash. We also made Lilly a Wonder Woman crown, but she doesn't keep it on long enough to get a picture!

Speaking of Wonder Woman....I think she should have worn a tutu once in a while! :)
I just can't get enough of Lilly wearing this tutu swimsuit! (Why can't they make that kind of suit in MY size?) Miss Lilly has become quite the "fish" this summer. We go every Wednesday to Great Grandpa Rod's pool and have a swim day/lunch with our Cushing cousins, GGR, Grandma Nan, Nick, Grandma Deb, and my Aunt Rochelle! It is a great time had by all. We giggle when Lilly holds on the the pink kick board and kicks her legs all crazy-like! The boys have become much more confident in the water this year - all because of this lady:
That is the wonderful Miss Pace, who just happened to be Sam's 1st grade teacher last year! When I heard she taught swimming lessons during the summer, I thought we would give it a try. Even though it was a little more money than I had hoped to pay for lessons....BOY WAS IT WORTH EVERY PENNY! The boys have come leaps and bounds from where they were just two months ago! Who would have thought we would see Sam do this:
He loves to jump off the diving board SO much, that it had to be his "reward" at the end of his lesson or else he would want to just keep jumping off over and over again!

And seeing Tyler do this:
(putting his head in the water)...is a HUGE improvement! He still gets a little nervous (and makes this funny "uh-uh-uh-uh" sound) when he doesn't want Miss Pace to let go of him. He actually can hold his breath a really long time too...which I never would have expected. I just find it ironic that Mr. Tyler who has the body coordination, breathing skills, and strength that Sam does NOT have...is the one who is a scaredy cat in the water! And then Mr. Sam, who has NO FEAR in the water, is the one who tries his darndest to acquire those skills that Tyler just naturally has! ????? Seriously.

We are so grateful for Miss Pace and her "way" with the boys! It really was a treat to take them to their lessons and watch them make such amazing improvements, in their own individual ways!

And this last picture is just proof of the determination that Tyler had one night that he was going to sleep in his toy basket with the stuffed animals. No matter how many times we told him that it wasn't going to be comfortable...yadda yadda yadda...he still snuck in there and did it anyway!
Yes, he is fast asleep in this picture - WITH his blanket over his head, nonetheless! Silly boy!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Um ya, when they come out with tutu swimsuits we are for sure getting some for ourselves. And I LOVED our "craft" date. It is SO refreshing to hang out with someone and have it be not weird, or lacking for conversation or whatever. Please move next door to me.

Melissa said...

Heather....I saw that swimsuit and was wishing so bad my little 3 year old fit into one...No such luck. I can not believe how well the boys are doing in the water...You need to pass me that info on the swim lessons. Alex too is doing well in the water this year but next year would be fabulous to have lessons....