Mr. Sam I Am. What a guy. Seriously, he is looking more and more grown up every day. In fact, he really is growing UP...he grew an inch in the last 2 months. Crazy. He is my never-ending source of an instant smile....because whenever I'm having a bad day, he seems to do something that amazes me and reminds me of just how far he has come!
Sam is testing out all sorts of new activities that he hasn't really been interested in before. He has been trying out drawing...and he loved it when I let him draw inside of an old cardboard box. Talk about simple fun!

Sam is really working hard at school. I can't BELIEVE what kinds of things second graders are expected to learn! I was in his classroom the other day helping his teacher with some grading, and a substitute came in to watch the kids for the last 30 minutes of the day. The sub sat next to me for a few minutes while Sam's teacher finished up her lesson on apostrophes...and she leaned over to me and said, "I know high school graduates that don't even know this stuff!" I laughed in agreement!

Getting Sam to do his homework is very hit and miss. Some nights he does just great and is a good sport about getting started...but on other nights it can become a battle of wills. One night (see above) he decided that he needed a "thinking cap" of sorts and went up to my bathroom and borrowed one of my headbands. :) I think he liked the pressure on his noggin and it helped him concentrate on his work. Whatever works!?!?!
Sam gets really excited about special little activities at school. He loved the Bike Rodeo and actually rode a 2-wheel bike (with training wheels) which was a big step up from his beloved red trike! We were so proud of him. He still gets a little nervous to ride the 2 wheeler with training wheels that is actually HIS size, but does ok if we let him ride the one that is more Tyler's size. (Baby steps...baby steps!)

Other fun things that Sam is up to:
- Loves to read books out loud. (Free speech therapy!)
- Likes to play rhyming games with Matt (who is the master of all rhymers!)
- Infatuated with "Toy Story 3"
- Has been learning how to build fun structures with the TRIO blocks (he reads the instructions and builds them step by step). Side note: he told me today that he wished that the temple was made out of TRIOs! :)
- Likes to wear "character socks" (just like Tyler)
- He is starting to "sing" along to songs in the car. He definitely has his favorites, and knows which numbers they are on the CD. His "singing" is truly music to my ears!
Man, I love that boy!!!!!

10 comments:
It's great to hear about all that Sam continues to love and do. We love that boy too!
Ditto--we love that boy, too! Great updates--I love seeing how they're growing!
Wow Heath - he really is amazing!! He gives me hope. And I have to say he is so lucky to have you - I attribute his success to his amazing momma!
I too have seen big changes in Sam, especially in the things he likes to do now. It is definately NOT ALL about trains anymore. Way to go SAM!!!!!!!!!!!
That post makes me happy. He is an incredible boy and I love hearing about his progress and accomplishments! It's really amazing to remember back several years ago and then to read all the things he is doing now! Way to go Sam, and way to go to your whole family!
Nice job Sammy! He really is a cute kid Heather.
(funny to see Grant Elementry in the background, I've been going there since I was 8)
love the thinking cap.
Heather I am so excited to hear about all of the new things Sam is doing...music to my ears. He has come such a long way! Way to go Sam!
Way to go Sam! What a sweet guy. Love the headband. Maybe I should get me one of those to help me think better.
Great kids and pictures. So glad to hear how Sam is doing
Post a Comment