Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Day 3

Wow...it's seems like we've been here forever! I "slept" over last night, however I didn't sleep much. That's ok though because I knew it would be hard. About every 1.5 - 2 hours, a nurse would come in to check on Sam, give him medicine, change his diaper, or do vital signs. Then sometime his machines would beep...which gets soooo annoying, because I can't turn them off (even though I know how) and I have to wait for a nurse to come do it. So, I think I might be a little tired (and possibly cranky) today.

Yesterday was pretty much uneventful. Sam stayed in bed, and didn't move much. I try to move him, since he won't do it himself, every so often so that he doesn't get too stiff. The doctors and nurses want him to move his neck...but he won't on his own. So then I get to be the bad guy and move it for him...then he gets so mad at me. :( Hopefully as time goes on, and the years go by, Sam won't remember much from this whole experience. Sam did manage to drink a whole bunch of juice in the morning...but it came right back up (sorry if that's too much information). Once we got his tummy settled (w/ meds) he ate a vanilla pudding and a bit more juice. Then later Grandma Deb saved the day and brought him some of his favorite mint chocolate-chip ice-cream (which he signs "green ice-cream" for) and he couldn't eat it fast enough! It was pretty cute! But after that treat around lunchtime, he wouldn't eat anything else and hardly drank. So as you can imagine we are all pretty frustrated about that. It's the one thing we can't force him to do....but he needs to do it in order to feel better and go home. He did get happy when we took him for a wagon ride (we made him a little bed in one of the red wagons they have here) around the unit. Later last night, after Matt had gone home, I took him for another wagon ride and he seemed to like "getting out". I couldn't get him to go to sleep until about 10:30 pm. He wanted me to lay down by him in his bed, so I did, and he eventually fell asleep.

This morning I'm just hanging out with him again, watching....guess?...yes "Winnie the Pooh". Grandma Nancy brought him a stuffed Pooh bear last night, so he's keeping Sam company along with his favorite dolphin stuffed animal. Dr. Brockmeyer just came by and said Sam's incision looks good and that the no appetite and not wanting to move stuff is totally normal...but that most kids will "turn the corner" sometime today and might feel a whole lot better. We'll see.....

Thanks again for everybody's prayers. We still feel them....

Love,
Heather

5 comments:

Susan Morgan said...

Dear Heather,

You're right, Sam is not going to remember this. And how can you be normal in a hospital? This is kind of like staying in pajamas all day on Christmas. It is not a reflection of your entire life every other week of the year. So not to worry. Sounds like everything is still good. Matt has Harry Potter; do you have something good to escape into? Sometimes a little escape can really help with feeling cranky.

*Leslie* said...

I'm so glad you are posting updates because we are so anxious to hear. I'm sooo happy that the surgery went so well. We are thinking about you all and praying for you during Sam's recovery. You are such a great mom!

Robyn said...

I finally got a chance to check up on what's going on with Sammy! I am SOOO happy (and actually emotional!) to hear that things are going pretty well. You guys are wonderful! We are for sure praying for you! Love you.

katherine said...

oh, i love you. i am so glad that you can let us all know how things are going and that we can check on you. take care. you are in our prayers.

Andrea Griggs said...

Heather-

I'm so glad he is doing well. You and Matt are doing a great job getting him to do what he needs to in order to get better and go home. He and you all are in our prayers. We hope you are able to get some rest soon. Let us know if we can help in any way. Thanks!

Andrea