Friday, August 3, 2007

A Realization

I had a realization late last night as I was extremely frustrated that Sam is having such a hard time taking his medicine. I think he has been traumatized from his experience at the hospital and having to take oral medicine is the one thing that has carried over from the hospital (meaning he had to take it there, and he has to take it here at home too). He starts to cry when he sees the medicine coming, and the crying makes his head hurt, which makes him cry even more, which makes him even more upset about having to take his medicine. What a nasty, nasty cycle.

The first two days at the hospital just seemed to be so "easy" compared to the second two days (and today, now that we're home) and I think I know why. Those first two days Sam was on VALIUM! Duh! I would be in "La La Land" too if I had scheduled doses of valium. Even though he was probably uncomfortable at times those first couple of days, he wasn't anywhere near as agitated as he has been the last few days. So, if anyone has any extra valium hanging around their house - please let me know! :)

We've been in contact with the Neurosurgeon Resident this morning. She is helping us figure out another way to get some pain medication in him. She is going to prescribe a tablet (that is not flavored) that we'll just have to crush and hide in his food. Also, we might have to try a suppository....but whatever works, at this point!

More to follow....

1 comment:

Lanes said...

Oh Heather! It doesn't sound easy, but it sounds like things went well! I am glad you are finally at home. And I hope you can work something out with the meds! I have been thinking about you and your fam! We will continue to pray for all of you as well!
Love You Guys!