Sunday, October 30, 2011

Charlie's Blessing/Columbus Day Weekend

I don't think I've ever been so excited for Columbus Day weekend, ever! :)

We were lucky enough to have Jason, Verity, Rhiannon, and Wade come up from California for a very short (but FABULOUS) visit in honor of Charlie's blessing day! 

They had not had the chance to meet Mr. Charlie yet, so it was precious to see moments like this:
Charlie was telling Verity some great "stories" after church.

And Uncle "J" has always been the Baby Whisperer with my kids. He seems to really have a way with the little ones. Charlie loved hanging out with Jason!

It was so nice to have time to just sit and "be" while they were here. We didn't have much planned, which left plenty of time to just sit in my mom and dad's great room and talk (and laugh)!

On Saturday night we had the entire Cushing crowd there for a big Pie Pizza party (the Cushing men love their Pie!). Jaymie, Verity, Rhiannon, and I also had an impromptu shopping trip to Savers! V & R had never experienced the "Nordstroms of all Thrift Stores".... so Jaymie and I were excited to have the chance to take them to one of our favorite shopping destinations! :)

Sunday after church my mom had planned a big Halloween cookie decorating party. I swear she spent an entire day in her kitchen making ALL of those cookies! The kids AND the adults had a great time experimenting with different frostings, gels, sprinkles, and toppings. Fun!

My brothers got into a friendly competition to see how fancy they could decorate the witch's boots. This was Brett's masterpiece. (Somehow I didn't get a shot of Jason's masterpiece, but it was equally fabulous. Too bad his beautiful witch's broom fell on the floor! Bummer!)

Lilly just had fun EATING the masterpieces. As you can see by the frosting mess on her face.
Say "CHEESE!!!!!"

We had many trays of these creations done by the end of the decorating party. Grandma, Verity, and McKaleigh were kind enough to pose for me with the yummy goodness.

Charlie was, of course, LOVING all the attention he received throughout the weekend.
What a handsome fella!

We definitely don't get enough GAME time when we get together on a regular basis for Sunday dinners. But luckily we had some extra together time over this fun weekend and we were able to squeeze in a few games of "Golf".... a Cushing family favorite.

Jason took advantage of some extra Charlie time while we played! :)

We had Grandma Lola, Grandpa Rod, Grandma Nan, Nicholas, and Rochelle come over to my mom/dad's house for dessert on Sunday night. Grandma Lola was totally hogging Charlie, but we let her get away with it! Do you blame me?

Rochelle brought two of her amazing birds so that the kids (and adults) could see them. We all had such a great time taking turns holding them (although one of them was kind of a biter) and laughing at their antics.




Sam was SOOOOOO excited, a little too excited, about seeing these birds....mostly because he is really into the movie "Rio" lately. He would just scream (in a good way) and run up and down the driveway while we all took turns holding them. I finally got him to come and touch one.....I think he liked it!

This particular bird decided he really liked me! He started on my hand (see picture above), moved up my arm, hung out on my shoulder, and then my neck, and then my shoulder again. He wouldn't go back to anyone even if they tried. Then he started getting a little TOO friendly with me and starting nibbling on my hair and my earrings. It was quite funny for everyone else, but I couldn't decide if I was completely horrified or if it just tickled. Matt took this priceless photo of me and this little experience. I was tempted to not share it on the blog....since it's not most flattering picture of myself...but I decided to include it for humor's sake! :)

Jason and Verity decided to stay for Monday too.....so we had our little Gardner Village adventure and then hung out for the rest of the day at my mom and dad's house again. Verity and Charlie had some MAJOR snuggle time. I think Charlie took a 2 hour nap on her lap.....

The kids had fun checking out all the fun apps on Jason's phone.

I enjoyed some catch-up chat with Verity. Man, how I wish we could chat like that on a regular basis! Love you, T.T.!!!!!

Wade and Rhiannon got to have turns holding Charlie too. They were both "naturals" and Charlie smiled and goo-ed at them like crazy. 

This wonderful weekend just FLEW by! We made many memories and I can't wait for the CA Cushings to come again! Spring Break, anyone??? (hint, hint!)

5 comments:

Deb said...

It was a fabulous weekend I so enjoyed it ALL!!

Verity said...

What wonderful pictures!!!! We loved every minute with you all!

emily, etc, etc said...

So fun! Charlie is such a perfect baby.

I miss you...

sewnews said...

So glad you all had time together. Seems like such fun.
Miss you all.

Robyn said...

How did I miss this post? That looks like the most perfect weekend. And I loved the picture of the bird nibbling on you--glad you decided to include it.