Thursday, August 23, 2012

Lilly's 3rd Birthday

(Yes, Lilly has been 3 for over 3 months now, but it's never too late to blog about it!)

Miss Lu-Lu is 3!!!!
I wanted to go all out on Lilly's birthday cake this year. With a little inspiration from various online sources and the Better Homes and Gardens magazine, I decided to do a rainbow 6 layer cake. I let her help, and Tyler too, with the cake baking process. They had a blast dying the batter with all the different colors and such. (Lilly didn't have a clue what they were for or what it would look like all put together.) She has an obsession with "Candyland," the board game, so I decided to decorate it with Candyland characters. This is what it looked like the day BEFORE her party (I put it together and frosted it a day in advance at my mom's house so that I wouldn't have to worry about transporting it the next day)......
24 hours later and it looked like this (below):
I was sad that the layers had sagged....it was just TOO HEAVY! So it didn't look as pretty...but I knew it would taste just as yummy. (Note to self: do not put a 6 layered cake together 24 hours in advance!)

This is what it looked like on the inside....cool eh? (But notice that they purple, blue, and green layers were totally squished compared to the red, orange, and yellow layers.) Oh well!

I was hoping that Lilly would have been absolutely delighted with the rainbow goodness...but she was totally NOT impressed. She didn't even want to eat the cake part....she only wanted to eat the Starburst candies that I used to decorate the bottom edge of the cake. Silly girl!

Luckily, she WAS impressed with the presents that she was spoiled with. Just imagine how cute she was while she opened presents if this is how excited she got when she saw her new birthday sandals from Grandma!....

Her extended family party was the day before her actual b-day, so when she woke up on her BIG DAY she was thrilled to be able to celebrate some more!!!

Her brothers were perfectly happy to celebrate some more too!!!! (And I was happy to have some left over rainbow cake for breakfast! ha ha ha!)

Later that afternoon, Grandma Deb came and whisked Lilly away to the party store to pick out her balloon. I was impressed with her pick:
That star balloon lasted for about 2 months! Awesome!
Grandma stayed around for some present opening fun! She (Grandma) was just as excited as Lilly was when she opened her new ballet shoes and dance dress!

Later that evening, we brought out the BIG present for Lilly....a big girl bike (thanks to her cousin Miranda who grew out of it!) and a Littlest Pet Shop helmet to go with it!
We spent the rest of the evening outside watching Lilly ride her bike around! Good times!

We love you Lilly-bot!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Lilly really enjoyed her birthday, it is so fun for me to share in her excitment. Love Ya Lilly!

Megan Goates said...

I'm impressed with your mad cake-baking skills. And what a cutie Lilly is :)

sewnews said...

What a cutie patutie!! Looks like she really too to the bike.

Melissa said...

So cute...I can't believe she is already 3.