Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What has Sam been up to?

Sam is my gentle giant.
He is really such a sweetheart.
I'm amazed each day at what he can do.
I'm also amazed each day at what I thought he could do, but he just can't.
(For instance, yesterday he was doing a reading comprehension worksheet about dinosaurs. He just could NOT wrap his head around the fact that the reason why we'll never really know how the dinosaurs became extinct is because we (humans) were not alive back then. Simple concept to most, but Sam just could not compute that one.)
Nonetheless, I just want to hug and kiss him all day.
Too bad he won't let me. Boo......

Here's a little diddy about what Sam has been up to lately:

This was one of those rare moments when Sam was actually willing to hold Charlie. 
Luckily, Matt had his phone handy, so he was able to get some precious documentation of this event!

Sam has become quite the builder. This is one of his creations that he built using his K'nex set.
I love watching him work on these building toy projects. He focuses so hard but he thoroughly enjoys it.

Here's my guy hard at work on an assignment. I think I took this back when school was still in session, but he's been so diligent and cooperative about doing his "summer homework" each day.

This picture was taken on the last day of school.
Sam's 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Lundberg, was absolutely DREAMY!!!! I really couldn't have asked for a better teacher for him. She challenged him just hard enough, but was also so warm and loving. I'm already in denial that he won't get to be in her classroom this coming school year. I can only hope and pray that his 4th grade teacher is just as awesome!

Do you recognize the snowy owl?
One day, Sam got this bee in his bonnet that he wanted to be Harry Potter. So I let him borrow my graduation robe and he did the rest. He borrowed the broom, put on his Dr. Seuss hat (maybe it resembles the Sorting Hat?), and then grabbed his owl.

Sometimes when Grandpa Leigh comes over to tend he'll bring some sort of fun activity for Sam to work on. Leigh has brought a few of these wooden 3-D puzzle kits and Sam has really enjoyed building them. Can you tell what it is?
(Answer: A pterodactyl!)

Sam is finally moving away from his train obsession....slowly. 
Part of it is my fault, in a way. We dedicated part of the unfinished basement to Sam's Geo Trax play area a while back....but I make him put them away every once in a while so that I can use the space for a project. Well....the projects (mostly piles of stuff to be sorted or put away) just kept piling up down there and he didn't even have room to play his trains. Oops! Sorry dude. 

Sam (and Tyler) got to play on the same soccer team during the Spring soccer season. Sam was especially excited for his trophy at the end of the season. It has been on display on his dresser ever since the last game of the season. 
Sam had a lot more opportunities to actually touch, kick, and handle the ball this season. (Don't judge me, but I figured out that he would participate more if I rewarded him - ok, bribed! - with Swedish fish! Each time he made contact with the ball, he would run over to the side of the field and grab a fish from me. Hey, whatever works!) He was so fun to watch out there on that field!

I love this picture.....
That's my multi-tasking boy....takes after his momma! When we were outside playing in the rain, Sam not only wanted an umbrella to use but he also wanted to ride his scooter at the same time! It was a bit tricky, but he insisted and actually had a lot of fun doing it!

I can't quite tell how Sam feels about going back to school. Part of me thinks he would rather just hang out at home all day....but then I think he realizes how much better he feels in general when he's on a schedule and routine. I'm really quite nervous about his teacher though....I don't know a single lick about her. When that has happened in the past, it hasn't turned out so well. Usually you hear about the really good teachers and the really not so good teachers. But when you don't hear ANYTHING about a teacher, that makes you wonder....or at least it makes ME wonder. 
If you're reading this, please say a little extra prayer for my Sam that he'll have a great school year....he could use all the extra help he can get. :) 
I'll definitely miss him during the day. I'll miss his jolly mood, his giggles and chuckles, his enthusiasm for quoting movies, catching him with his nose stuck in a book, watching him build with his Legos or K'nex, and so so much more.

I love you, my sweet Sammy.

8 comments:

Deb said...

Can I just say that Sam continually surprises me. I too hope that his teacher this year will be exceptional, he deserves a great year. I hope he will play soccer again, when he wants, he can be a great contribution to the team. I enjoy watching him play.

Robyn said...

Holy cow, I'm impressed with those serious building skills (I really wanted to spell that "skillz" for some random reason). I'll for SURE say some prayers for Mr. Sam this year. The Swedish fish idea is awesome!

Becca said...

Heather! I just caught up! You've been doing so much this summer!

Your kids are all so so cute! Lucky kids to have such a spectacular mama!

Melissa said...

Oh I miss cute Sammy! He is doing so good at building things. What a huge leap for him to sort of give up the trains...Alex is moving toward not so obsessive on fans...but the book still makes an appearance when we leave the house. :) Sam will do fantastic this year...so will you. We will keep you both in our prayers.

Christy said...

Good luck with school - I'll be sayinga little prayer! I really hope it goes well. And you should be proud to bribe with swedish fish - you could bribe me anyday with those jelly delights :)

Kara said...

I'm always so impressed by sweet Sam. I'll be hoping (and praying) that this school year will be a good one!

sewnews said...

Such a dreamy looking little guy... I hope the best for his school year. His building skills are awesome

Megan Goates said...

Sweet Sam. I love him.